Patrick E. Foppe practices in civil litigation and represents corporate clients and insurance companies in cases throughout Illinois and Missouri in both state and federal court. He frequently handles claims involving insurance defense, premises liability, personal injury, complex commercial motor vehicle accidents, products liability, wrongful death and general negligence.
He also concentrates in retail and transportation related matters. In addition, he conducts immediate response to serious accidents as part of Lashly & Baer’s Rapid Response Team, which helps to achieve early evaluation of serious accidents and ensure the preservation of evidence.
Patrick is an active member of Retail and Transportation Practice Groups of USLAW NETWORK, Inc., which is an international organization, composed of over 180 independent, defense-based law firms. Further, he currently serves the Defense Research Institute, Inc.’s (DRI) Trucking Committee’s Steering Committee and is Chair of the Special Litigation Groups. He also serves on the Executive Committee of the Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA) and is Vice-Chair of the Transportation Lawyers Association’s Membership and Recruiting Committee. He served on the Illinois State Bar Association’s Committee on Judicial Evaluations from 2012 to 2016, which reviews judicial candidates for election to all courts in Illinois.
Patrick has an “AV Preeminent” Peer Rating™ with Martindale-Hubbell ®. He was honored by Missouri Lawyers Weekly with its Up & Coming Award for 2013. Also, Patrick has been selected through peer recognition and professional achievement for inclusion in the Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars, as published by Super Lawyers® magazine, each year since 2010. He has been honored by the Missouri Bar for his pro bono work in the community.
Patrick has successfully tried numerous cases. His accomplishments include successful resolution of claims involving: premises liability; personal injury; trucking accidents; disputes involving the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations; cargo claims; products liability; subrogation losses; class actions for false advertising and anti-trust; and toxic torts involving asbestos, benzene, and welding fumes.
Patrick is also a regular author on commercial transportation industry issues and is an invited speaker by many industry groups. Patrick and his wife Kate have six children.
- USLAW NETWORK, Inc.
- Transportation Practice Group
- Defense Research Institute, Inc. (DRI)
- Trucking Law Committee
- Special Litigation Groups’ Coordinator, 2015-Present
- Chair of the Regulatory/Government Affairs Special Litigation Group, 2012-Present
- Steering Committee Member, 2012-Present
- Product Liability Committee
- Commercial Litigation Committee
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA)
- Casualty Litigation Committee
- Motor Carrier Transportation Committee
- Representative-at-Large, Executive Committee, Present
- Vice Chair – Membership and Recruiting Committee, 2015- Present
- Truckload Carriers Association (TCA)
- Illinois Trucking Association (ITA)
- Missouri Trucking Association (MTA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- Illinois State Bar Association, Standing Committee Judicial Evaluations – Outside Cook County, 2012-Present
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL)
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- Canal Insurance Company
- Daily Express, Inc.
- Mayflower Transit, LLC
- National Transportation Association, Inc.
- Quality Distribution, Inc.
- RLI Insurance Company
- Roehl Transport, Inc.
- Trans Advantage, Inc.
- UniGroup, Inc.
- United Van Lines, LLC
- Vanliner Insurance Company
- Vitran Express
- Western Express
Representative Cases or Transactions
- Harbison v. Rich Gullet & Sons, Inc., et al., 4:13-CV-1138-SPM, 2015 WL 1602611 (U.S. Eastern Dist. Mo. 2015) (motion to dismiss granted)
- Harbison v. Rich Gullet & Sons, Inc., et al., 4:13-CV-1138-SPM, 2014 WL 5483569 (U.S. Eastern Dist. Mo. 2015) (motion for application of foreign law granted)
- Hudson v. Wheeler, et al., 1216-CV22106 (Jackson County, Mo., 2013) (judgment on the pleadings)
- Penfold v. Martin Transportation Systems, Inc., 10SL-AC22268 (St. Louis County, Mo., 2012) (directed verdict)
- Holt v. Galemmo, et al., 11SO-CV00643 (Stoddard County, Mo., 2012) (favorable settlement
- Keller v. Feinerman, et al., 2011 WL 1519384 (U.S. Southern Dist. of Ill., 2011) (pro bono case)
- Murphy v. Safeco Ins. Co. of Illinois, 2010 WL 1268034 (U.S. Eastern Dist. of Ill., 2010) (trial)
- Heard v. Metro Moving & Storage, Co., 09SLSC00472 (St. Louis County, Mo., 2009) (defense verdict)
- James v. Express Medical Transport, Inc., 0722CC09197 (St. Louis City, Mo. 2009) (summary judgment)
- Holland v. Muscle Relocation, Inc., 04CV746895 (Scott County, Mo., 2008) (summary judgment)
- Monke v. General Medicine, P.C., et al., 2008 WL 904734 (U.S. Southern Dist. of Ill., 2008) (dismissed with prejudice)
- Johns v. Saint-Gobain Abrasives, Inc., et al., 22032-01197 (St. Louis City, Mo. 2007) (summary judgment)
- Schuette v. Saint-Gobain Abrasives, Inc., et al., 22032-00537 (St. Louis City, Mo. 2007) (summary judgment)
- Woodson v. The Dow Chemical Co., et al., 052-09415 (St. Louis City, Mo. 2006) (voluntarily dismissed)
- Null et al. v. De Beers, et al., 05-516-MJR (U.S. Southern Dist. of Ill, 2005) (removal of a multi-million dollar class action)
- Siemens v. Energy Systems Group, et al., 04-MR-39 (Wayne County, Ill., 2005) (summary judgment)
- Ratermann et al. v. Tri-County Electric Coop., 02-L-67 (Marion County, Ill. 2005) (summary judgment)
Recent Publications or News
- Author, “Handling Marijuana Issues in Your Trucking Case,” DRI For The Defense Magazine, April 2016
- Lecturer, “Truck Drivers and Pot Heads: Can the Two Ever Be Friends?” DRI’s Trucking Law Conference, Chicago, Illinois, April 14, 2016
- Author, “Defending Against Attempts to Impose Liability through the Broad Definitions under 49 C.F.R. § 390.5,” TLA’s The Transportation Lawyer, December 2015
- Author, “Defending Motor Carriers Performing Oversize Load And Heavy Haul Operations,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Magazine, Fall 2015
- Author, “Curtailing Plaintiffs Efforts to Broaden Motor Carrier Liability Through the Broad Definitions under FMCSR Section 390.5,” DRI E-Forum, April 12, 2015
- Author, “New House Bill Seeks to Reform FMCSA’s CSA Scores,” DRI E-Forum, April 6, 2015
- Author, “FMCSA Releases Crash Weighting Analysis and Seeks Public Input,” DRI E-Forum and USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Transportation E-Brief, January 25, 2015
- Author, “New Eavesdropping Restrictions in Illinois,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Transportation E-Brief, January 25, 2015
- Author, “2014 News from the FMCSA and a Look Down the Road,” DRI For The Defense Magazine, December 2014
- Author, “FMCSA Curtails Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Transportation E-Brief, December 10, 2014
- Author, “FMCSA Seeks Public Comment Regarding Revising Minimum Levels of Financial Responsibility of Commercial Carriers,” DRI E-Forum, December 10, 2014
- Author, “Missouri Court of Appeals Holds the Missouri’s Statutory Caps on Punitive Damages Do Not Apply in Wrongful Death Cases,” DRI E-Forum, June 30, 2014
- Author, “FMCSA Initiates Rulemaking Process to Update the Financial Responsibility of Commercial Carriers,” DRI E-Forum, May 14, 2014
- Lecturer, “Understanding the Plaintiff’s Playbook in Trucking Cases and Being Proactive Against It,” National Interstate Insurance Company client meeting, Amelia Islands, Florida
- Lecturer, “Navigating Through the Litigation Minefield and Combating Plaintiff’s Game Plan,” Cottingham & Butler’s client meeting, Dubuque, Iowa
- Lecturer, “Unique Challenges in Handling Claims Against Heavy Haulers and Carriers of Oversize Loads,” TLA’s 2014 Annual Conference, Tampa ,Florida
- Author, “FMCSA Announces Proposed Rule For Electronic Logging Devices,” DRI E-Forum, March 17, 2014
- Author, “FMCSA Finalizes Rule to Shut Down Carriers based on Patterns of Safety Violations and Proposes New Rule for National Drug and Alcohol Testing Clearinghouse,” DRI E-Forum, February 13, 2014
- Author, “FMCSA Issues One-Year Extension of Paper Medical Certificate Requirement for Commercial Bus and Truck Drivers,” DRI E-Forum, January 22, 2014
- Co-author, “Application of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Upon Private Motor Carriers – Are You Aware of the Risks?,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Magazine, Spring-Summer 2014
- Author, “Illinois Bans Using Handled Cell Phones While Driving,” DRI E-Forum, October 8, 2013
- Co-author, “New Missouri Law Requires Uninsured Motorists to Forfeit Recovery of Noneconomic Damages Under Certain Circumstances,” Transportation E-Brief, September 13, 2013
- Co-author, “Federal Appeals Court Upholds Most New Hours of Service Rules,” Transportation E-Brief, August 6, 2013
- “$7 million settlement – Man settles claims against co-workers in accident,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly, June 17, 2013
- Co-author, “Missouri Appellate Court Allows Imputed Liability Claims Against Employer Even After Admitting Agency When Punitive Damages Are At Issue,” Transportation E-Brief, March 29, 2013
- Co-author, “Missouri Courts Examining Possible Exceptions to When a Plaintiff Can Pursue Other Imputed Theories of Liability Against an Employer Even After Respondeat Superior Liability is Admitted,” Transportation E-Brief, January 18, 2013
- Co-author, “Illinois Appellate Court Allows Evidence of Plaintiff’s Lack of Health Insurance,” Transportation E-Brief, June 18, 2012
- Interview, “Hot Button Issues – Transportation Regulations,” Ladue News, February 10, 2012
- Co-author, “U.S. Department of Transportation Announces New Regulations Reducing the Maximum Allowable Hours Truck Drivers May Drive,” Transportation E-Brief, January, 27, 2012
- Co-author, “Compendium of Trucking Verdicts in Missouri from 2000 to 2011,” Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA), June 2011
- Co-author, “Injuries to Unauthorized Passengers in Trucking Accidents Pose Unique Issues,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Magazine, Spring-Summer 2011
- Interview, “Multi-Million Dollar Settlements,” Chicago Lawyer, October 1, 2010
- Co-author, “U.S. Department of Transportation Issues Final Rule Revising Drug Testing Procedures,” Transportation E-Brief, August 17, 2010
- Co-author, “Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Pursues Permanent Ban on Texting for Commercial Truck Drivers,” Transportation E-Brief, April 25, 2010
- Interview, “Rock of Love Bus’ Suit Settles For $16 Million,” The Madison County and St. Clair County Record, October 15, 2009
- Co-author, “10th Circuit Court of Appeals Aligns Itself With The Majority of Appellate Circuits on an Important MCS-90 Issues,” Transportation E-Brief, September 10, 2009
- Co-author, “Theft Claims on The Rise in the Transportation Industry, But Remedial Measures Pose Challenges,” Transportation E-Brief, June 1, 2009
- Co-author, “FMCSA Toughens Safety Requirements for New Commercial Truck and Bus Companies,” Transportation E-Brief, January 19, 2009
- Co-author, “Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Makes No Change in Hours of Service Rule,” Transportation E-Brief, December 8, 2008
- Interview, “Class Action Against World’s Largest Diamond Miner Certified in Madison County,” The Madison County and St. Clair County Record, July 27, 2005
Community Service & Awards
- Leader, Service Trip to Guyana, April 2015
Guyana is one of South America’s poorest countries. I had the privilege of leading a group of seven volunteers at the St. John Bosco’s Boys Orphanage and at the David Rose School for Disabled Children.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® PreeminentTM Peer Rating
- Honoree, Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming Award, 2013
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association, Standing Committee Judicial Evaluations – Outside Cook County, 2012-present
- Honoree, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2010-Present
- Honoree, The Missouri Bar, Pro Bono Wall of Fame, 2011
- Coach, Jessup Competitive Moot Court Team, Saint Louis University School of Law, 2005-2010