Scott A. Pummell is a business lawyer who practices health law and corporate law. Mr. Pummell represents health care providers, health care organizations, owner-operated businesses, and professionals. Mr. Pummell has represented major health systems, national health group purchasing organizations, senior living facilities, multi-specialty physician groups, rural health centers, imaging centers, ambulatory surgery centers, and individual providers.
Mr. Pummell also advises corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships regarding business formation, corporate governance, and general operations. This includes advice regarding structuring businesses, buying and selling businesses, negotiating contracts and leases, providing regulatory advice, real estate matters, and structuring joint ventures. Mr. Pummell counsels health care providers and entities on issues such as group purchasing, clinical research matters, the Stark law, Medicare compliance, reimbursement, telemedicine, and more.
Mr. Pummell also has handled commercial litigation and trial and appellate work, including general business litigation, shareholder and corporate disputes, health care litigation, multi-district litigation, and professional negligence issues. Mr. Pummell, who began his legal career as the Law Clerk to the Honorable Paul C. Wilson of the Missouri Supreme Court, has successfully represented clients in appeals to the Missouri Supreme Court, the Missouri Court of Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
Mr. Pummell has earned distinguished awards based on his work in and out of the courtroom. Mr. Pummell received 2020 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for his work in Health Care Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), and Commercial Litigation. Missouri Lawyers Weekly also named Mr. Pummell an Up & Coming Lawyer in 2017, putting him among the top 50 attorneys in Missouri within their first 10 years of practice. In 2017 and each year since, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers have recognized Mr. Pummell as a member of the Rising Star List. This list recognizes only the top 2.5 percent of attorneys as Rising Stars based on their rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Mr. Pummell graduated summa cum laude from the University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Law. While in law school, Mr. Pummell earned eight CALI Excellence for the Future awards for scoring the top grade in those courses. He also served as the Lead Note and Comment Editor on the UMKC Law Review and represented UMKC in the National Moot Court Competition. Prior to joining the legal profession, Mr. Pummell was a media and business leader. He worked for more than a decade as a managing editor, columnist, and newspaper reporter.
- Honoree, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, 2020
- Honoree, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2017-Present
- Honoree, Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming Lawyer, 2017
Presentations & Legal Publications
- Co-Author, “Charting a Course Through the Perils and Pitfalls of 537.065 Litigation,” 70 Journal of the Missouri Bar 2, March/April 2014
- Health Care
- Business & Corporate
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2014
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 2014
- United States District Court, Western District of Missouri, 2018
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 2013
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- J.D., summa cum laude, 2013
- Northwest State University
- B.S., Journalism and Political Science, 1997
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys
- St. Louis Health Lawyers Association
- Lashly & Baer, P.C.
Associate, 2014 – Present
- The Hon. Paul C. Wilson, Supreme Court of Missouri
Law Clerk, 2013 – 2014
- The Law Offices of Stephen R. Bough
Law Clerk, 2012 – 2013