Richard W. Hill III practices in the areas of health care law and corporate law, with an emphasis on regulatory defense, health care fraud and abuse compliance, corporate transactions, as well as the negotiation and drafting of various software, equipment, and professional service agreements. He advises a broad array of healthcare providers, from hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and assisted living facilities to individual physicians, nurses, and counselors.
Rich advises clients on various health care compliance and regulatory issues, including: the False Claims Act; the Anti-Kickback Statute; the Stark Law; the Controlled Substances Act; HIPAA; Medicare and Medicaid billing and conditions of participation issues; EMTALA; Certificates of Need; and, other federal and state fraud and abuse statutes and regulations. He has experience representing health care professionals and facilities in all phases of litigation against government agencies, contractors, and licensing bodies, including: the Department of Justice; the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services; Medicare recovery audit and zone program integrity contractors; the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services; the Missouri Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs; the Missouri Board of Healing Arts; and, the Missouri Board of Nursing.
Rich is involved in every phase of the life cycle of health care entities, from the structuring and drafting of initial corporate documents, to the due diligence, negotiation, and document preparation for corporate transactions. In addition to his litigation and corporate work, Rich assists hospitals, developers of assisted living and skilled nursing facilities, and other health care providers in obtaining Certificates of Need from the Missouri Health Facilities Review Committee for the construction and/or expansion of health care facilities or the purchase of major medical equipment. He also assists these providers with the negotiation of purchase contracts for major medical equipment, and assisted a hospital client in negotiating the purchase of its first proton beam therapy machine.
Rich earned his J.D. from Saint Louis University School of Law with a concentration in health care law. In 2020, Rich received the Up & Coming award by Missouri Lawyers Media for being one of the top 50 young attorneys in Missouri. He was also recognized by Best Lawyers, receiving their Ones to Watch award each year since 2021.
Community Service & Awards
- Up & Coming, Missouri Lawyers Media, 2020
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers, 2021 – Present
Lectures & Legal Publications
- Lecturer, “Legal Aspects of Advanced Practice Nursing,” Saint Louis University Trudy Busch-Valentine School of Nursing, October 27, 2020
- Lecturer, “Medical Marijuana, Medicare and Medicaid Exclusion, and the Trickle-Down Effect on Patient Care,” Senior Living Forum, St. Louis, October 30, 2019
- Lecturer, “Government Investigations and Enforcement Actions,” HFMA Conference, St. Louis, April 26, 2019
- Co-Author, “When the DEA Comes Knocking,” September 21, 2018
- Interview, “State Approves Fulton Parolee-Focused Nursing Facility,” ABC KMIZ, September 10, 2018
- Lecturer, “Documentation From the Legal Perspective: Federal Conditions of Participation Actions,” Senior Living Forum, St. Louis, May 1, 2018
- Health Care
- Business & Corporate
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 2013
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 2021
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D., Health Law Certificate, 2013
- Truman State University, Kirksville, Missouri
- B.S., cum laude, Biology, 2009
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- St. Louis County Bar Association
- St. Louis Health Lawyers Association
- Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys
- Senior Living Forum
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Lashly & Baer, P.C.
Member, 2022 – Present
Associate, 2015 – 2021
- Health Capital Consultants, LLC
Senior Counsel, 2014 – 2015
Research Associate, 2013 – 2014
- Stewart, Mittleman, Heggie, Henry & Albin, LLC
Associate, 2012 – 2013