Jeffrey Atkinson is an experienced trial attorney who concentrates his practice in civil litigation and medical malpractice defense. Jeff has received an AV Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell, a nationally-recognized peer-reviewed rating awarded to attorneys based on both professional excellence and the highest ethical standards.
Jeff represents a variety of doctors, businesses and insurance companies, primarily in litigated matters. In addition to trial work, Jeff has appeared successfully on numerous occasions before the Missouri Court of Appeals and the Labor and Industrial Relations Commission on behalf of businesses and insurance companies in workers compensation matters.
He is licensed in Missouri and admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. Jeff is a member of the Missouri Bar Association and the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis.
- Missouri Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Bar Association
Community Service & Awards
- Board of Trustees for the Missouri Conference of the United Methodist Church, 2013 – Present
- The Gathering United Methodist Church
- Chairman, Building Committee, 2016 – 2018
- Executive Leadership Team, 2010 – 2013
- Launch Team, 2005 – 2006
- Webster Hills United Methodist Staff-Parish Relations Committee, 2002 – 2006
- Focus St. Louis, 21st Century Task Force, 2000 – 2002
- Kirkwood United Soccer Club, Coach, 2016 – Present
Presentations & Legal Publications
- Author, “Collateral Source, Constant Confusion,” USLAW Network Magazine, Spring 2022
- Presenter, Evidentiary Rules Affecting Experts, Missouri Bar CLE
- Tony R. Warren v. Patrick J. Lecorps, Carter County, Missouri, 2014. Unanimous jury verdict on behalf of a local orthopedic surgeon accused of medical malpractice.
- Angelina Palleson v. Kimberly C. Berni, M.D., et. al., Charles County, Missouri, 2012. Jury verdict on behalf of defendant urologist, alleged to have wrongly performed lithotripsy procedure.
- State Ex. Rel.. Farley v. Jamison, Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District, 2011. Writ of mandamus made permanent finding that substantial compliance with §538.225, Missouri’s health care affidavit requirement, is not sufficient, 346 S.W.3d 397S.
- Wallace & Reva Bean v. Orthopedics Associates, et. al., Cape Girardeau, Missouri, 2011. Jury verdict on behalf of defendant orthopedic surgeon, alleged to have failed to recognize a post-surgical complication resulting in an above the knee amputation of the patient.
- Bonnie Parsell v. Washington University, et. al., City of St. Louis, 2010. Jury verdict on behalf of defendant otolaryngologist alleged to have failed to properly treat a cancerous growth.
- Stephen Nickelson et al v. Wayne Wells, et. al, Louis County, Missouri, 2006. Successful jury verdict in favor of homebuyers against sellers for negligently failing to disclose property defects at the time of sale.
- Gail Moore v. St. Anthony’s Medical Center, Missouri Division of Workers Compensation, 2019, Successfully obtained permanent and total disability benefits for a 58 year-old nurse.
- Wolfgang Kaschner v. Schlueter Painting, Inc., Missouri Labor and Industrial Relations Commission, 2014. On appeal, the Labor and Industrial Relations commission reversed the administrative law judge’s decision, awarding permanent total disability benefits to a 59 year-old commercial painter.
- John Miller v. Chrysler, Missouri Division of Workers Compensation, 2011. Successfully obtained permanent total disability benefits with multiple work injuries for long-time automotive assembly employee.
- Gene Tidwell v. Walker Construction, Missouri Labor and Industrial Relations Commission, 2003. Affirmed on appeal successful defense of workers compensation claim finding injuries were not work related.
- Commercial Litigation
- Medical Professional Defense Litigation
- Workers Compensation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- Supreme Court of Missouri
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D., 1998
- Albion College, Albion, Michigan
- B.A., cum laude, Mathematics, 1995
- Lashly & Baer, P.C.
Member, 2022 – Present
Attorney, 2019 – 2021
- Gonnerman Reinert, LLC
Attorney, 2009 – 2019
- Carmody MacDonald, P.C.
Associate, 2003 – 2009
- McAnany, Van Cleave & Phillips, P.C.
Associate, 1998 – 2003