Matthew S. McBride engages primarily in litigation throughout the state and federal courts of Missouri and Illinois, with an emphasis on commercial litigation and corporate law issues. He represents corporations, their officers and employees for which millions of dollars are exposed.
Mr. McBride is regularly involved in litigation involving breaches of contract, breaches of employment contracts, enforcement of landlord’s remedies, covenants not to compete, trade-secret violations, construction contracts, violations of federal and state consumer protection acts, violations of duties of good faith and fair dealing, indemnification and contribution, obtaining liquor licenses for local businesses, and mechanics’ liens and related disputes between owners of property and general contractors and subcontractors. He has represented his clients in consumer protection matters in numerous state and federal jurisdictions. He has also successfully defended health care professionals from disputes with insurance companies and private licensure organizations. He also has successfully represented clients in intellectual property litigation involved copyright infringement of computer programs and the illegal downloading of computer files.
In addition, Mr. McBride has experience in complex litigation including federal and state antitrust actions, interpleader actions with numerous parties, shareholder derivative suits, bankruptcy actions and redetermination of tax liabilities (in addition to general corporate defense).
Mr. McBride uses his experience to advise businesses on risk management and other matters to avoid costly lawsuits. Mr. McBride also structures business entities, negotiates leases, sale of businesses and other contracts, as well as providing general corporate representation.
Matt earned his J.D. from the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law.
- Missouri Tort Law Deskbook, False Arrest and Malicious Prosecution, Supp. 2005
- Missouri Tort Law Deskbook, False Arrest and Malicious Prosecution, Supp. 2003
- Journal of Dispute Resolution, Recent Developments: The Uniform Arbitration Act 1997
- Missouri Tort Law Deskbook, False Arrest and Malicious Prosecution, Supp. 2010
- Journal of Dispute Resolution, Recent Developments: The Uniform Arbitration Act 1996
- Business & Corporate
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1999
- U.S. Tax Court, 2002
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 1998
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 1999
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- J.D. - 1998
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- B.S. - 1995
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Finance and Banking
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Government Service
- City of St. Louis Port Authority Commission, Chairman, 2003-2006, 2011 – Present
- City of St. Louis Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority, Commissioner, 2006-Present
- St. Louis Development Corporation, Commissioner, 2003-2006, 2011 – Present
- City of St. Louis Gaming Selection Committee, Committee Member
- City of St. Louis Port Authority Commission, Commissioner, 2001-Present
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Partner, 2008
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Associate, 2005 to 2008
- Guilfoil, Petzall & Shoemake, LLC, Associate, 1999 to 2005
- Honorable Clifford H. Ahrens, Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District, Clerk, 1998 to 1999