Patrick E. Foppe practices in civil litigation and represents corporate clients and insurance companies in cases throughout Illinois and Missouri in both state and federal court. He frequently handles claims involving insurance defense, premises liability, personal injury, complex commercial motor vehicle accidents, products liability, wrongful death and general negligence.
He also concentrates in transportation and retail related matters. In addition, he conducts immediate response to serious accidents as part of Lashly & Baer’s Rapid Response Team, which helps to achieve early evaluation of serious accidents and ensure the preservation of evidence.
Patrick is an active member of Transportation and Retail Practice Groups of USLAW NETWORK, Inc., which is an international organization, composed of over 180 independent, defense-based law firms. Further, he currently serves on the Defense Research Institute, Inc.’s (DRI) Trucking Committee’s Steering Committee and is Chair of Publications. He also serves as Co-Chair of the Transportation Lawyers Association’s (TLA) Membership and Recruiting Committee. He served on the Illinois State Bar Association’s Committee on Judicial Evaluations from 2012 to 2016, which reviews judicial candidates for election to all courts in Illinois.
Patrick has an “AV Preeminent” Peer Rating™ with Martindale-Hubbell®. In 2018, Patrick was selected through peer recognition and professional achievement for inclusion in the Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, as published by Super Lawyers® magazine. He was honored by Missouri Lawyers Weekly with its Up & Coming Award for 2013. He has been recognized by the Missouri Bar for his pro bono work in the community.
Patrick has successfully tried numerous cases. His accomplishments include successful resolution of claims involving: premises liability; personal injury; trucking accidents; disputes involving the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations; cargo claims; products liability; subrogation losses; class actions for false advertising and anti-trust; and toxic torts involving asbestos, benzene, and welding fumes.
Patrick is also a regular author on transportation and retail industry issues and is an invited speaker by many industry groups. Patrick and his wife Kate have seven children.
- Founding Director of the National Zip-Out Unused Opioids Foundation, 2018 It is well recognized that prescription pain medications have been a driving force in the dramatic rise in this health epidemic. The National Zip-Out Unused Opioids Foundation seeks to educate the public on an easy method to responsibly dispose of unused pain medications in compliance with the Federal Food and Drug Administration guidelines and federal law.
- Leader, Service Trip to Guyana, April 2015 Guyana is one of South America’s poorest countries. I had the privilege of leading a group of seven volunteers at the St. John Bosco’s Boys Orphanage and at the David Rose Scholl for Disabled Children.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Peer Rating
- Honoree, Missouri Lawyers Up & Coming Award
- Honoree, Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars, 2010-Present
- Honoree, The Missouri Bar, Pro Bono Wall of Fame
- Coach, Jessup Competitive Moot Court Team, Saint Louis University School of Law, 2005-2010
- "Precluding Discovery of Preventability Determinations in Trucking Accidents Under 49 U.S.C. § 504(f)" , DRI’s “The Voice”, December, 2017
- “Handing Marijuana Issues in Your Trucking Case” , DRI For the Defense Magazine, April, 2016
- “Curtailing Plaintiffs Efforts to Broaden Motor Carrier Liability Through the Broad Definitions under FMCSR Section 390.5,” , DRI E-Forum, April, 2015
- “Defending Against Attempts to Impose Liability through the Broad Definitions under 49 C.F.R. § 390.5” , TLA’s The Transportation Lawyer, December, 2015
- “New House Bill Seeks to Reform FMCSA’s CSA Scores,”, DRI E-Forum., April, 2015
- “FMCSA Releases Crash Weighting Analysis and Seeks Public Input,”, DRI E-Forum and USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Transportation E-Brief, January, 2015
- “Defending Motor Carriers Performing Oversize Load And Heavy Haul Operations” , USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Magazine, 2015
- “New Eavesdropping Restrictions in Illinois", USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Transportation E-Brief, January, 2015
- “2014 News from the FMCSA and a Look Down the Road” , DRI For The Defense Magazine, December, 2014
- “FMCSA Curtails Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports", USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Transportation E-Brief, December, 2014
- “FMCSA Curtails Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports", USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Transportation E-Brief., December, 2014
- "FMCSA Seeks Public Comment Regarding Revising Minimum Levels of Financial Responsibility of Commercial Carriers” , DRI E-Forum, December, 2014
- “Missouri Court of Appeals Holds that Missouri's Statutory Caps on Punitive Damages Do Not Apply in Wrongful Death Cases” , DRI E-Forum, June, 2014
- “FMCSA Initiates Rulemaking Process to Update the Financial Responsibility of Commercial Carriers”, DRI E-Forum, May, 2014
- “FMCSA Announces Proposed Rule For Electronic Logging Devices” , DRI E-Forum, March, 2014
- “FMCSA Finalizes Rule to Shut Down Carriers based on Patterns of Safety Violations and Proposes New Rule for National Drug and Alcohol Testing Clearinghouse” , DRI E-Forum, February, 2014
- “FMCSA Issues One-Year Extension of Paper Medical Certificate Requirement for Commercial Bus and Truck Drivers”, DRI E-Forum, January, 2014
- “Application of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Upon Private Motor Carriers – Are You Aware of the Risks?” , USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Magazine, 2014
- “Illinois Bans Using Handled Cell Phones While Driving” , DRI E-Forum, October, 2013
- “New Missouri Law Requires Uninsured Motorists to Forfeit Recovery of Noneconomic Damages Under Certain Circumstances” , Transportation E-Brief, September, 2013
- “Federal Appeals Court Upholds Most New Hours of Service Rules” , Transportation E-Brief, August, 2013
- “$7 million settlement - Man settles claims against co-workers in accident”, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, June, 2013
- , “Missouri Appellate Court Allows Imputed Liability Claims Against Employer Even After Admitting Agency When Punitive Damages Are At Issue” , Transportation E-Brief, March, 2013
- “Missouri Courts Examining Possible Exceptions to When a Plaintiff Can Pursue Other Imputed Theories of Liability Against an Employer Even After Respondeat Superior Liability is Admitted” , Transportation E-Brief, January, 2013
- “Illinois Appellate Court Allows Evidence of Plaintiff's Lack of Health Insurance”, Transportation E-Brief, June, 2012
- “Hot Button Issues - Transportation Regulations” , Ladue News, February, 2012
- “U.S. Department of Transportation Announces New Regulations Reducing the Maximum Allowable Hours Truck Drivers May Drive” , Transportation E-Brief, January, 2012
- “Compendium of Trucking Verdicts in Missouri from 2000 to 2011” , Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA), June, 2011
- “Injuries to Unauthorized Passengers in Trucking Accidents Pose Unique Issues” , USLAW NETWORK, Inc. Magazine, 2011
- “Multi-Million Dollar Settlements” , Chicago Lawyer, 2010
- “U.S. Department of Transportation Issues Final Rule Revising Drug Testing Procedures” , Transportation E-Brief, August, 2010
- “Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Pursues Permanent Ban on Texting for Commercial Truck Drivers”, Transportation E-Brief, April, 2010
- “Rock of Love Bus' Suit Settles For $16 Million” , The Madison County and St. Clair County Record, October, 2009
- “10th Circuit Court of Appeals Aligns Itself With The Majority of Appellate Circuits on an Important MCS-90 Issues” , Transportation E-Brief, September, 2009
- “Theft Claims on The Rise in the Transportation Industry, But Remedial Measures Pose Challenges”, Transportation E-Brief, June, 2009
- “FMCSA Toughens Safety Requirements for New Commercial Truck and Bus Companies” , Transportation E-Brief, January, 2009
- “Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Makes No Change in Hours of Service Rule”, Transportation E-Brief, December, 2008
- “Class Action Against World's Largest Diamond Miner Certified in Madison County”, The Madison County and St. Clair County Record, July, 2005
Classes & Seminars
- “Legal Developments in Transportation Litigation” , Cottingham & Butler’s client meeting, Dubuque, Iowa, 10/01/2018
- “Avoiding the Crisis Created Long Before the Accident – Legal and Litigation Issues with Employee Handbooks and Training Manuals", Arkansas Trucking Conference, 09/20/2019
- “Derivative Negligence Claims against Motor Carrier”, Strafford Webinars, 08/22/2018
- “Protecting the Crisis Management From Discovery: Addressing Requests For Post-Accident Investigation Materials And Preventability Determinations During Litigation”, USLAW Spring Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona, 04/07/2018
- “Motor Carrier Claims for Negligent Entrustment” , Strafford Webinars, 08/16/2017
- “Marijuana and the Employer – Navigating the Evolving Risk Landscape” , CLM & Business Insurance Retail, Restaurant, & Hospitality Conference, Dallas, Texas, , 02/24/2017
- “Now What? Managing Catastrophes” , Vanliner Insurance Company, St. Charles, Missouri, 02/10/2017
- “Truck Drivers and Pot Heads: Can the Two Ever Be Friends?”, DRI’s Trucking Law Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 04/14/2016
- “Understanding the Plaintiff’s Playbook in Trucking Cases and Being Proactive Against It,” , National Interstate Insurance Company client meeting, Amelia Islands, Florida
- “Navigating Through the Litigation Minefield and Combating Plaintiff’s Game Plan,” , Cottingham & Butler’s client meeting, Dubuque, Iowa
- “Unique Challenges in Handling Claims Against Heavy Haulers and Carriers of Oversize Loads,” , TLA’s 2014 Annual Conference, Tampa, Florida
- Canal Insurance Company
- Daily Express, Inc.
- Mayflower Transit, LLC
- National Transportation Association, Inc.
- Quality Distribution, Inc.
- RLI Insurance Company
- Roehl Transport, Inc.
- Trans Advantage, Inc.
- UniGroup, Inc.
- United Van Lines, LLC
- Vanliner Insurance Company
- National Interstate Insurance Company
- Western Express
- Walters v. Schwan’s Food Services, Inc., 17CG-CC00014, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri , summary judgment on issue of punitive damages
- Haley v. Westfreight Systems, Inc., et al., 15-cv-01161-JPG-SCW, 2016 WL 5394389, Motion to strike punitive damages granted, 2016, U.S. Southern Dist. IL.
- Harbison v. Rich Gullet & Sons, Inc., et al., 4:13-CV-1138-SPM, 2015 WL 1602611 , Motion to dismiss granted, 2015, U.S. Eastern Dist. Mo.
- Harbison v. Rich Gullet & Sons, Inc., et al., 4:13-CV-1138-SPM, 2014 WL 5483569 , Motion for application of foreign law granted, 2015, U.S. Eastern Dist. Mo.
- Hudson v. Wheeler, et al., 1216-CV22106 , Judgement on the pleadings, 2013, Jackson County, MO
- Penfold v. Martin Transportation Systems, Inc., 10SL-AC22268 , Directed Verdict, 2012, St. Louis County, MO.
- Holt v. Galemmo, et al., 11SO-CV00643 , Favorable Settlement, 2012, Stoddard County, Mo.
- Keller v. Feinerman, et al., 2011 WL 1519384 , Pro bono case, 2011, U.S. Southern Dist. of Ill.
- Murphy v. Safeco Ins. Co. of Illinois, 2010 WL 1268034 , Trial, 2010, U.S. Eastern Dist. of Ill.
- Heard v. Metro Moving & Storage, Co., 09SLSC00472 , Defense Verdict, 2009, St. Louis County, Mo.
- James v. Express Medical Transport, Inc., 0722CC09197 , Summary judgment, 2009, St. Louis City, Mo.
- Holland v. Muscle Relocation, Inc., 04CV746895 , Summary judgment, 2008, Scott County, Mo.
- Monke v. General Medicine, P.C., et al., 2008 WL 904734 , Dismissed with prejudice, 2008, U.S. Southern Dist. of Ill.
- Johns v. Saint-Gobain Abrasives, Inc., et al., 22032-01197 , Summary Judgment, 2007, St. Louis City, Mo.
- Schuette v. Saint-Gobain Abrasives, Inc., et al., 22032-00537 , Summary Judgment, 2007, St. Louis City, Mo.
- Woodson v. The Dow Chemical Co., et al., 052-09415 , Voluntarily Dismissed, 2006, St. Louis City, Mo.
- Null et al. v. De Beers, et al., 05-516-MJR , Removal of a multi-million dollar class action, 2005, U.S. Southern Dist. of IllU.S. Southern Dist. of Ill.
- Siemens v. Energy Systems Group, et al., 04-MR-39 , Summary Judgment , 2005, Wayne County, Ill.
- Ratermann et al. v. Tri-County Electric Coop., 02-L-67 , Summary Judgment, 2005, Marion County, Ill.
- Personal Injury
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2009
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 2004
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 2005
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 2004
Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. - 2004
Saint Louis University
- B.S. - 2001
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Alpha Sigma Nu, Jesuit Honor Society, 2000
- Honors: Beta Gamma Sigma, Business Honor Society, 2000
- Honors: Pre-Law Scholar, 1997-2001
- USLAW NETWORK, Inc, Transportation Practice Group; Retail Practice Group, Present
- Defense Research Institute, Inc. (DRI), Trucking Law Executive Committee (2012 to present); Chair of Publications (2017 to present); Coordinator of all the Special Litigation Groups (2015 to 2016); Chair of the Regulatory/Government Affairs Special Litigation Group (2012 to 2016); Product Liability Committee; Commercial Litigation Committee, Present
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA), Representative-at-Large, Executive Committee (2016-2018); Vice Chair – Membership and Recruiting Committee (2015-Present); Casualty Litigation Committee; Motor Carrier Transportation Committee
- Truckload Carriers Association (TCA)
- Illinois Trucking Association (ITA)
- Missouri Trucking Association (MTA)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Transportation Section
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, Standing Committee Judicial Evaluations - Outside Cook County, 2012 to 2013
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL), Member
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Member, 2013
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Associate, 2008 to 2012
- Heyl, Royster, Voelker & Allen, Associate 2003 - 2004; Law Clerk 2004 - 2008, 2004 to 2008