Matthew Eddy is a litigator and trial lawyer with experience in both state and federal courts, focusing his practice on the defense of complex litigation and health care regulatory matters. Matt has tried cases before juries and judges, and has defended and pursued his clients’ interests in appeals before courts and administrative bodies in Missouri and Illinois.
His practice includes defending medical negligence, product liability and toxic tort lawsuits, advising a wide spectrum of health care clients in government investigations relating to Medicare-Medicaid fraud and abuse, false claims and anti-kickback laws, and professional licensure disciplinary actions. Matt also regularly counsels clients who have been served subpoenas and civil investigative demands from the Department of Justice, Office of Inspector General, state and federal drug agencies, state licensure boards and private parties involved in civil litigation, among others. He has successfully litigated insurance disputes involving claims for coverage, breach of contract, bad faith and contribution.
His accomplishments also include successful representation of product manufacturers, retailers and owners in product liability actions involving consumer products, industrial machinery, medical devices, asbestos, silica, chemical solvents and herbicides. Matt is a partner in the firm’s Health Care and Litigation practice groups.
Matt has been selected for inclusion to the Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers (Personal Injury Medical Malpractice: Defense), most recently in 2014. He earned his J.D. from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law.
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Personal Injury Medical Malpractice: Defense
- Minden, et al. v. Atain Specialty Ins. Co., 788 F.3d 750, 2015, 8th Circuit
- Fiala v. Bickford Senior Living Grp., LLC, 2015 IL App (2d) , 2015, lll App
- J.E. Jones Const. Co. v. Chubb & Sons, Inc., 486 F.3d 337 , 2007, 8th Circut
- Federal Ins. Co. v. Gulf Ins. Co., 162 S.W.3d 160 , 2005, MO. App. E.D.
- Filla v. Norfolk Southern Ry. Co., 336 F.3d 806, 2003, 8th Circut
- Bramon v. U-Haul, Inc., 945 S.W.2d 676 , 1997, Mo. App. E.D.
- Budget Rent A Car v. Guaranty Nat. Ins., 939 S.W.2d 412 , 1996, Mo. App. E.D.
- Waggoner v. Mercedes Benz of N. America, 879 S.W.2d 692 , 1994, Mo. App. E.D.
- Product Liability / Toxic Tort
- Health Care
- Personal Injury
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1994
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2007
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 1992
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 1994
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- J.D. - 1992
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- B.S.B.A. - 1989
- Major: Finance
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Illinois State Bar Association
- CLM Alliance
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Member, 2007
- Holtkamp, Liese, Childress & Schultz, P.C., Partner, 2005 to 2007
- Holtkamp, Liese, Childress & Schultz, P.C., Associate, 2004 to 2005
- Moser & Marsalek, Associate, 2001 to 2004
- Kortenhof & Ely, P.C., Associate, 1993 to 2001