Practice Areas & Industries
Protecting Students Through Difficult Processes
Education professionals did not enter the profession because they wanted to deal with issues of crime, drug use, sexual harassment or fighting. Unfortunately, these issues can consume a school’s time, resources and focus.
We regularly offer clients guidance on legal and policy issues related to student discipline, suspensions and expulsions. We also advise on sensitive matters involving inappropriate conduct of staff with respect to students. We understand that you want what’s best for your students and faculty. We do, too.
With more than 100 years of experience counseling educational institutions, we’ve earned something more valuable than our share of business: We’ve earned our clients’ trust.
We regularly handle the following legal issues related to students:
- Administration of medicine
- Drug testing of students/student athletes
- Exclusion from extracurricular activities
- Expulsion hearings guidance and referral of students
- Faculty and staff discipline and termination in connection with misconduct
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Federal and state civil rights claims
- Formation of clubs/groups
- Free speech
- Immunization of students
- Internet usage by students
- Pupil suspensions
- Reporting of child abuse
- Requests for student records
- Safe School Act
- School prayer
- School safety
- School uniforms
- Searches of lockers, cars, personal effects and persons
- Sexting and text messaging
- Sexual harassment of students
- Student affairs
- Student assessment
- Student handbooks
- Student records
- Use of metal detectors and video surveillance
The attorneys at Lashly & Baer, P.C. care. Contact us at 314-621-2939 or use the online form. We have offices in St. Louis, Missouri, and by appointment only in Belleville, Illinois.
Plan Your Visit
Lashly & Baer, P.C.
ST. LOUIS OFFICE
20 East Main Street
Belleville, IL 62220
Map & Directions
By Appointment Only