James C. Hetlage is an experienced employment attorney, litigator, and municipal attorney. He represents government and private-sector employers before state and federal administrative agencies, trial courts and appellate courts. Mr. Hetlage is experienced in resolving employment discrimination claims and other labor and employment disputes in court and through mediation and arbitration. He has addressed the impact of social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter for employers, and has counseled employers on proper means for avoiding discrimination and harassment claims.
Mr. Hetlage serves as the City Attorney for Glendale and Wentzville, Missouri. In that capacity, Mr. Hetlage addresses substantially all of the legal needs of these cities, including preparation and review of ordinances and contracts, analysis of zoning and land use issues, Sunshine Law requests, and personnel matters.
Mr. Hetlage partners with his employer and municipal clients to identify ways to avoid risk and keep his clients out of the courtroom. Mr. Hetlage provides clients with counseling and guidance on drafting and implementing ordinances, employment policies and on Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), wage and hour, and discrimination compliance issues. In addition, he handles litigation involving commercial disputes including breach of contract, condemnation, construction, and real estate matters.
Jim has been selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers (Employment & Labor) in multiple years, most recently in 2019, and has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in multiple years, most recently in 2020, for his work in Employment Law – Management. Jim is also peer rated AV Preeminent® with Martindale-Hubbell. He earned his J.D. from Washington University School of Law.
- The Best Lawyers in America® Employment Law – Management, 2015 – Present
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor, 2009 – Present
- Designated as a member of the Top 100 St. Louisans To Know To Succeed in Business, Small Business Monthly, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent®
Classes & Seminars
- Recent Developments in the Family and Medical Leave Act, Leading Age Legal Issues Seminar
- Fair Labor Standards Act for Public School Districts, Missouri School Boards Association Annual Conference
- Social Networking Websites in the Workplace; What’s Legal What’s Not, Missouri School Boards Association Annual Conference
- Employment Issues Facing Missouri Educators, Lorman Education Services
- Drug Testing of Private and Public Employees, Human Resources Management Association of St. Louis
- Recent Developments in ADA and FMLA, Human Resources Management Association
- Employment Laws for Missouri School Districts, Missouri Association of School Business Officials Annual Conference
- Selecting and Terminating Employees in Missouri, National Business Institute
- City of Wentzville, Missouri
- City of Glendale, Missouri
- Bi-State Development Agency of the Missouri-Illinois Metropolitan District
- St. Louis Public Library
- City of Crestwood, Missouri
- Chubb Specialty Insurance
- Clark v. St. Louis Public Schools, 2006 WL 208600, E.D. Mo.
- Wade-Lemee v. Board of Education, 2005 WL 2333890, E.D. Mo.
- Davis v. Hammonds, 103 Fed. Appx. 51, 8th Cir.
- Darst Webbe Tenant Association Bd. v. St. Louis Housing Authority, 202 F.Supp.2d 938, E.D. Mo.
- City of Ladue v. Rafaeli, 14 S.W.3d 258, Mo. App. E.D
- Cross v. Board of Education of the City of St. Louis, 223 F.3d. 867, 8th Cir.
- Wack v. Board of Education of the City of St. Louis, 25 S.W.3d 689, Mo. App. E.D.
- FDIC v. Davis, 167 F.3d 1199, 8th Cir.
- Miles v. Board of Education of the City of St. Louis, 989 F. Supp. 1225, U.S. Dist, Ct. E.D. Mo.
- C.F.S. v. Mahan, 943 S.W.2d 615, Mo. App. E.D.
- Warren v. Board of Education of the City of St. Louis, 200 F.Supp.2d 1053, U.S. Dist, Ct. E.D. Mo.
- McCurdy v. St. Luke’s Episcopal-Presbyterian Hospitals, 265 S.W.3d 286, Mo. App. E.D.
- Civil Service Commission of the City of St. Louis v. Board of Alderman of the City of St. Louis, 92 S.W.3d 785, Mo. App. E.D.
- Reichert v. Board of Education of the City of St. Louis, 217 S.W.3d 301, Mo. Supreme Ct.
- Labor & Employment
- Government & Public Agencies
- Business & Corporate
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Judicial Circuit, 1993
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2008
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 1990
- United States District Court, Western District of Missouri, 2013
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 1989
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 1990
- Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
Juris Doctor – 1989
- Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio
B.A. English Literature – 1986
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment and Litigation Sections
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Lashly & Baer, P.C.
Member, 1996 – Present
Associate, 1989 – 1995