Mark H. Levison’s practice includes complex commercial litigation and the counseling of clients in areas of intellectual property and general litigation, as well as governmental relations and administrative affairs, with a concentration in economic development incentives.
As a trial lawyer, he has helped set legal precedent in several distinct areas. Mr. Levison is a recognized leader of the organized bar, being one of only two lawyers in the history of The Missouri Bar to serve as President of both the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis and the Trial Lawyers Association of St. Louis and to serve as a member of The Missouri Board of Governors.
Mr. Levison was a member of the Missouri Legislature’s Subcommittee on the Privatization of Government Services. In Washington D.C., Mr. Levison served on the staffs of the United States Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives. Mark is a community leader who serves on many governmental and charitable boards. He is currently the Chairman of the Land Reutilization Authority of the City of St. Louis and the Vice Chairman of the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis.
Mr. Levison earned his J.D. from Washington University School of Law. He is a nationally syndicated columnist and is a frequent CLE speaker on topics ranging from Ethics & Professionalism to Real Estate. In 2013, Mr. Levison was named one of the Top 100 St. Louisians to Know to Succeed in Business.
Representative Cases or Transactions
• Served as special counsel to the St. Louis Development Corporation in negotiating development rights for the St. Louis City’s largest developable commercial site (Arena/Highlands).
• Represented Washington University in real estate development and land use issues arising from its campus expansion into multiple municipal jurisdictions.
• Represented a client utilizing tax incremental financing and various other economic incentives in developing the first commercial office building constructed in East St. Louis in over three decades.
• Represented a multi-national real estate development company in its purchase of the Met Square Building (over $100 million) in respect to tax incentive issues.
• Represented an entertainment company in its successful attempt to win RFP’s to build casinos in both St. Louis City and St. Louis County.
• Represented a national metals recycling corporation in the prosecution of an antitrust claim filed against one of the nation’s largest telecommunications companies. Obtained a verdict in excess of $100 million, which at the time, was one of the largest verdicts in the nation.
• Represented national companies and sports leagues in litigation protecting their intellectual property including enforcement of trait patents against growers and other violators of the intellectual property of crop science companies.
• Defended a regional manufacturer in an antitrust action brought by a multi-national corporation. The claim asserted that the client was attempting to monopolize the market and further impinge upon the copyrights of the multi-national corporation. As a result of the representation, the client recovered significant cash and benefits.
• Represented an entertainment promoter and venue owner in its defense of an antitrust action brought by another promoter. Secured dismissal prior to trial on a motion for summary judgment.
- Designated as a member of the Top 100 St. Louisians To Know To Succeed in Business, Small Business Monthly
- President’s Outstanding Service Award, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Founder, The Levison Group, syndicator of legal analysis and satire column
- Author, “The Bill of Rights as Adjunct to Natural Law,” Det. C.L. Rev.
- Author of various columns including those published as Odd Thoughts, Laughing Matters and Under Analysis
- Past Editor-in-Chief, St. Louis Lawyer
- Government Relations
- Real Estate
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1980
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 1980
Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. - 1979
George Washington University
- M.A. - 1974
George Washington University
- B.A. - 1970
- City of St. Louis, Land Reutilization Authority, Chairman, Present
- City of St. Louis, St. Louis Development Corporation, Board of Directors, Present
- Operation Impact, Board Member
- The Missouri Bar Board of Governors (longest serving member in history of Bar), Governor
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, President, 1992 to 1993
- Lawyers Association of St. Louis (Trial Bar), President, 1995 to 1997
- St. Louis Bar Foundation, Board of Directors and Vice President
- Missouri Interest on Lawyer Trust Fund Accounts (IOLTA), Board of Directors and Vice President
- American Bar Association
- The Mound City Bar
- PayBack, Inc., Board of Directors and Past President
- St. Louis Internship Program, Board of Directors and Past President
- Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis, Board of Directors, General Counsel, and currently Vice Chairman, Present
- Represent Missouri Citizens’ Commission on Compensation for Elected Officials
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Member, 2012
- Lathrop & Gage LLP, Partner, 2001 to 2012