James C. Hetlage is an experienced employment attorney, litigator, and municipal attorney. He represents government and private-sector employers before state and federal administrative agencies, trial courts and appellate courts. Mr. Hetlage is experienced in resolving employment discrimination claims and other labor and employment disputes in court and through mediation and arbitration. He has addressed the impact of social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter for employers, and has counseled employers on proper means for avoiding discrimination and harassment claims.
Mr. Hetlage serves as the City Attorney for Glendale and Wentzville, Missouri. In that capacity, Mr. Hetlage addresses substantially all of the legal needs of these cities, including preparation and review of ordinances and contracts, analysis of zoning and land use issues, Sunshine Law requests, and personnel matters.
Mr. Hetlage partners with his employer and municipal clients to identify ways to avoid risk and keep his clients out of the courtroom. Mr. Hetlage provides clients with counseling and guidance on drafting and implementing ordinances, employment policies and on Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), wage and hour, and discrimination compliance issues. In addition, he handles litigation involving commercial disputes including breach of contract, condemnation, construction, and real estate matters.
Jim has been selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers (Employment & Labor) in multiple years, most recently in 2018, and has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in multiple years, most recently in 2019, for his work in Employment Law – Management. Jim is also peer rated AV® PreeminentTM with Martindale Hubbell. He earned his J.D. from Washington University School of Law.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Peer Review Rating
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers
- Designated as a member of the Top 100 St. Louisians To Know To Succeed in Business, Small Business Monthly
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Human Resource Management Association of St. Louis
- Washington University School of Law, Alumni Executive Committee
- National Kidney Foundation of Eastern Missouri and Metro East, Inc.
- Webster Child Care Center
- "FMLA UPDATE: New Regulations, New Rules", Missouri Association of School Business Officials Conference, April, 2010
- "Social Networking Websites in the Workplace; What's Legal' What's Not", Missouri School Boards' Association Annual Conference, October, 2009
- "Employment Laws for Missouri School Districts", Missouri Association of School Business Officials Conference, 2007
Classes & Seminars
- Recent Developments in Sexual Harassment, Lashly & Baer, 1998 to 1998
- Legal Issues Related to Electronic Communications, Lashly & Baer, 1999 to 1999
- Employment Issues Facing Missouri Educators, Lorman Education Services, 2001 to 2001
- Recent Developments in ADA and FMLA, Human Resources Management Association, 2001 to 2001
- Selecting and Terminating Employees in Missouri, National Business Institute, January 2003
Fraternities or Sororities
- Delta Kappa Epsilon
- Board of Education of the City of St. Louis
- Bi-State Development Agency of the Missouri-Illinois Metropolitan Dist
- General Motors Corporation
- Jefferson Memorial Hospital
- Ruby Tuesday, Inc.
- City of Ladue, Missouri
- Darst Webbe Tenant Association Board v. St. Louis Housing Authority, 202 F.Supp.2d 938, 2002, 8th Cir., 2002300399
- Cross v. Bd. of Ed., City of St. Louis, 223 F.3d 867, 2000, 8th Circuit, 2000481302
- FDIC v. Davis, 167 F.3d 1199, 1999, 8th Circuit, 1999049803
- Warren v. Board of Education of the City of St. Louis, 200 F.Supp.2d 1053, 2001, E.D. Mo., 2002299986
- Miles v. Bd. of Ed., City of St. Louis, 989 F.Supp. 1225, 1998, U.S. Dist. Ct. E.D. Mo., 1998039273
- Wack v. Board of Education of the City of St. Louis, 25 S.W.3d 689, 2000, Mo. Ct. of App., 2000490490
- City of Ladue v. Rafaeli, 14 S.W.3d 258, 2000, Mo. Ct. of App., 2000059533
- CFS v. Mahan, 943 S.W.2d 615, 1996, Mo. Ct. of App.
- Labor and Employment
- Business & Corporate
- Government & Public Agencies
- Supreme Court of Missouri, 1989
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 1990
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2013
Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. - 1989
- B.A. - 1986
- Major: English Literature
- American Bar Association, Labor & Employment; Litigation Section, Member
- The Missouri Bar, Member
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Member, 1996
- Lashly & Baer, P.C., Associate, 1989 to 1995