Accelerated Payments to Health Care Providers During COVID-19
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has increased the cash flow available to Medicare providers during the COVID-19 public health emergency by providing accelerated/advance payments to providers when there is a disruption in claims submission and/or claims processing. This is essentially a short-term loan. Below is a summary of this Program.
Eligibility for Providers and Suppliers:
- Have billed Medicare within 180 days of request.
- Not be in bankruptcy.
- Not be in active medical review or program integrity investigation.
- Not have any outstanding delinquent Medicare overpayments.
Amount of Payment:
- For most providers and suppliers, 100% of Medicare payment amount for a three-month period.
- For most hospitals, 100% of the Medicare payment amount for a six-month period.
- For Critical Access Hospitals, 125% of the Medicare payment amount for a six-month period.
- Each Medicare Administrative Contractor (“MAC”) will work to review and issue payments within seven (7) calendar days of request.
- Generally, one year for hospitals.
- All other Part A and Part B providers and suppliers will have 210 days to repay.
How to Apply:
- Contact your MAC (WPS for Missouri and Palmetto for Illinois)
See CMS Fact Sheet for More Details:
Stuart J. Vogelsmeier
Richard W. Hill
Scott A Pummell
This summary and legal alert is an overview of the new guidance. It is not intended to be, and should not be construed as, legal advice for a specific factual situation.