Kevin L. Fritz
Kevin L. Fritz is a trial attorney experienced in both state and federal courts. He engages in civil litigation in Missouri and Illinois, with an emphasis on insurance defense and coverage, corporate collection, commercial litigation, premises liability, product liability, construction, vehicular negligence matters and personal injury. He also engages in transportation related matters that include interstate and intrastate issues, cargo, breach of contract and catastrophic casualty claims. Kevin has received favorable judgments for numerous trials conducted in the St. Louis metropolitan area, including St. Louis City. He has also argued before the Missouri Supreme Court.
Kevin also leads immediate response to serious vehicular and trucking accidents as part of Lashly & Baer’s Rapid Response Team. This helps to achieve early evaluation of accidents and ensure the preservation of evidence. He is the current Chair of Lashly & Baer’s Litigation Department and Transportation Practice Section.
Kevin has been selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® (Transportation/Maritime) in multiple years, most recently in 2016. He was also selected as one of the Top 50 St. Louis attorneys in 2012, 2015 and 2016, as published by Super Lawyers Magazine, through peer recognition and professional achievement.
Kevin is AV® PreeminentTM rated with Martindale-Hubbell, and earned his J.D. from the University of Missouri School of Law. He was recently elected to serve on the USLAW Network’s Board of Directors Executive Committee and is a past chair of USLAW Network, Inc.’s Transportation Practice Group. USLAW Network, Inc. is a national organization composed of over 180 independent, defense-based law firms. Kevin is also a court approved mediator for the Missouri state courts.
- Canal Insurance Company
- Daily Express, Inc.
- Diversified Ingredients
- Fluidmaster, Inc.
- Mayflower Transit, LLC
- National Transportation Association, Inc.
- Quality Distribution, Inc.
- RLI Insurance Company
- Roehl Transport, Inc.
- Trans Advantage, Inc.
- UniGroup, Inc.
- United Van Lines, LLC
- Vanliner Insurance Company
- Vitran Express
- Western Express
- XTRA Lease LLC
Representative Cases or Transactions
- Brashears v. Union Pacific Railroad Co., 171 S.W.3d 166 (Mo. App. E.D.)
- Payne v. Cornhusker Motor Lines, 177 S.W.3d 820 (Mo. App. E.D.)
- Wallace v. Ormsby Trucking, Inc. et. al., 2005 WL 1021550 (E.D. Mo.)
- Board of Education of the City of St. Louis v. Gloria Elam, 70 S.W.3d 448 (Mo. Ct. App. E.D.)
- Ming v. General Motors Corp., 81 F.Supp.2d 956 (E.D. Mo.)
- Reeb v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 902 F.Supp. 185 (E.D. Mo.)
- Garr v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., 137 S.W.3d 457 (Mo. banc)
- MTC Construction, Inc. v. County of St. Louis (tried in St. Louis County)
- Nationwide Warehouse & Storage, Inc. v. Charles Christophel (tried in St. Louis City)
- Theresa Williams v. Justin L. Hudson (tried in Jefferson County)
- Sherrie Buchmeier v. Tanya M. McCormack (tried in St. Louis County)
- Tracy Williams v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (tried in St. Louis City)
Recent Publications or News
- Lecture, “Preservation/Spoliation Issues in Transportation and Retail Litigation,” Ace Hardware’s 2016 Partnership Meetings, Green Lake, Wisconsin
- Lecture, “Success at Mediation: Key Strategies for Effective Dispute Resolution,” USLAW Network, Inc.’s 2016 Transportation and Client Conference, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
- Lecture, “Inherent Defects in the CSA Program,” USLAW Network, Inc.’s 2016 Transportation Law Exchange, Dallas, Texas
- “Defending Motor Carriers Performing Oversize Load and Heavy Haul Operations,” USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter, 2015
- Lecture, “Expert Witnesses – Maximizing the Effectiveness of an Expert and Minimizing the Impact of the Opponent’s Expert,” American Trucking Association’s 2015 Forum for Motor Carrier General Counsel, La Jolla, California
- Lecture, “Best Practices in Accident Reconstruction,” American Trucking Association’s 2014 Forum for Motor Carrier General Counsel, Marina Del Ray, California
- “Claims Strategies,” Cottingham & Butler’s Risk Control Workshop, Orlando, Florida and Dubuque, Iowa, April 2014
- “Application of the Federal Motor Safety Regulations upon Private Motor Carriers – Are You Aware of the Risks,” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer, 2014
- Lecture, “Words from the Head Referee – An Interactive Discussion with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration,” USLAW Network, Inc.’s 2014 Transportation and Client Conference, Miami Florida
- Lecture, “Truthfulness and Fairness in Negotiations,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2013 Ethics and Client Conference, Vancouver, Canada
- Lecture, “Be Prepared If You Find Yourself on the Witness Stand,” 2013 First Annual Canal Insurance Company Safety Seminar, Greenville, South Carolina
- Lecture, “Successful Strategies for Defending Against Punitive Damages,” American Trucking Association’s 2013 Forum for Motor Carrier General Counsel, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- Lecture, “Dissecting the Plaintiff’s Playbook — Traumatic Brain Injury Claims,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2013 Transportation and Client Conference, Tuscon, Arizona
- Lecture, “How to Navigate Through the Minefield by Taking Control of the Claim,” 2013 Compass Advisory Board Meeting, Amelia Island, Florida
- Lecture, “Rapid Response — What to do When the Call Comes In,” 2012 USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s Trucking Boot Camp, Omaha, Nebraska
- Lecture, “Spoliation of Evidence: A General Overview,” 2012 Canal Insurance Company Claims Department Best Practices Series, Greenville, South Carolina
- “Illinois Appellate Court Allows Evidence of Plaintiff’s Lack of Health Insurance,” Transportation E-Brief, June 2012
- “Is Admission of Agency Still a Defense to a Derivative Negligence Claim in Missouri?” Transportation E-Brief, May 2012
- Lecture, “I Can See Clearly Now: Testing Theories and Accessing Case Values Through Electronic Focus Groups,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2012 Transportation and Client Conference, Dana Point, California
- Lecture, “Claims Investigations: It’s Better to be Safe than Sorry,” United Van Lines and Mayflower Transit Claims Department Best Practice Services, May 2011, St. Louis, Missouri
- “Injuries to Unauthorized Passengers in Trucking Accidents Pose Unique Issues,” USLAW Magazine, Spring 2011
- Lecture, “Broker Liability and Current Issues,” 2011 Marsh Transportation Bootcamp, Dallas, Texas
- “U.S. Department of Transportation Issues Final Rule Revising Drug Testing Procedures,” Transportation E-Brief, August 2010
- “Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Pursues Permanent Ban on Texting for Commercial Truck Drivers,” Transportation E-Brief, April 2010
- Lecture, “Current Issues in E-Discovery & ADR,” 2010 Washington University Law Dispute Resolution Program and United States Arbitration & Mediation Midwest, Inc., St. Louis, Missouri
- Lecture, “Navigating Attacks by Plaintiff’s Attorney During the Safety Director’s Deposition,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2010 Transportation and Client Conference, Miami, Florida
- “10th Circuit Court of Appeals Aligns Itself with the Majority of Appellate Courts on an Important MCS-90 Issue,” Transportation E-Brief, September 2009
- Lecture, “Risks and Opportunities Affecting the Commercial Transportation Industry,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2009 Transportation and Client Conference, Charleston, South Carolina
- “Theft Claims on the Rise in the Transportation Industry, But Remedial Measures Pose Challenges,” Transportation E-Brief, June 2009
- “FMCSA Toughens Safety Administration Makes No Change in Hours of Service Rule,” Transportation E-Brief, January 2009
- “Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Makes No Change in Hours of Service Rule,” Transportation E-Brief, December 2008
- Lecture, “Life’s Tough, But It’s Tougher If You Are Careless: Strategies to Protect the Motor Carrier from Claims of Negligent Hiring, Supervision or Retention and Punitive Damages Arising from FMCSR Violations,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2008 Transportation and Client Conference, Miami, Florida
- Lecture, “A Minefield: Insurance Issues Confronting the Motor Carrier in Catastrophic Losses,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2007 Transportation and Client Conference, Tucson, Arizona
- Lecture, “Premises Liability and School Law,” 2006 Gallagher Bassett Services, Inc. Claims Manager Best Practice Series, St. Louis, Missouri
- Lecture, “Claim File Documentation,” 2006 Vanliner Insurance Company Claims Department Best Practice Series, St. Louis, Missouri
- Lecture, “Common Pitfalls in Freight Charge Collection and Freight Claim Cases,” American Trucking Association’s 2005 Forum for Motor Carrier General Counsel, La Jolla, California
- Key Note Speaker, 2005 Fulton, Missouri High School Graduation Ceremony
- Lecture, “Logistics for a Global Economy,” USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s 2003 Transportation Conference, Mobile, Alabama
- Co-Author, Recent Developments: The Uniform Arbitration Act, 1992, J. Disp. Resol. 411
Community Service & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rating
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers
(Transportation/Maritime), Multiple Years (most recently 2016)
Top 50 Lawyers St. Louis, 2012, 2015 and 2016
- USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s, Board of Directors and Executive Committee Member, 2012-Present
- USLAW NETWORK, Inc.’s Transportation Practice Group, Past Chair, 2010-2012
- Lashly & Baer, P.C.’s Litigation Department, Chair, 2016-Present
- Lashly & Baer, P.C.’s Transportation Practice Section, Chair, 2002-Present
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
- USLAW NETWORK, Inc.
Board of Directors/Executive Committee
Past Chair of the Transportation Practice Group
- Defense Research Institute, Inc. (DRI)
Trucking Law Committee
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA)
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- St. Louis County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Truckload Carriers Association